Parent Voluntarism is an important part of the success of the school. As a parent/guardian of a student enrolled at AYA, you are welcome as a member of our Islamic Parent-Teacher Association (IPTA). IPTA’s mission is to create a fun and friendly atmosphere for the children.
Helping the IPTA is also a great way to fulfill the 20 Family Volunteer hours. Parents can volunteer in so many ways, even without having to be on campus! IPTA volunteers can gather at-home volunteer hours by providing: snacks for the classrooms, assemblies, and bake sales; or even decorations and cash donations for parties and celebrations.
IPTA commits to the following goals each school year:
1. To promote an atmosphere in which children can grow as individuals, each aware of his/ her own worth and value in society.
2. To foster an awareness among parents of the need for their participation in the total education of their children.
3. To develop united efforts between educators and the public that will secure for every child the highest achievements in religious, mental, social, and physical education.
4. To provide a forum for constructive communication and decision-making between parents, teachers, and administration for cooperative resolution of school problems.
5. To sponsor community, social, and fund-raising activities to promote the general welfare of AYA and its students.
In the past, IPTA has helped to: refresh the cafeteria; buy new technology for classrooms; host fun-filled Teacher Appreciation weeks; host art showcases, and many school celebrations. Parent volunteers assist with organizing events, fundraising, and simple projects to provide loving touches to our school community.
AYA has many school-wide volunteer opportunities! Whatever your talent, interest or expertise, there is a way to contribute!
Classroom Parent: Each class has two Classroom Parents selected at the beginning of the school year who commit to support the teachers and classroom activities. Classroom parents will serve as liaisons between the teachers, the IPTA, and other classroom parents. Their functions include such duties as:
- To coordinate helpers for special activities
- To create a phone tree for communication among families
- To support parents group activities
- To coordinate celebration events for families
- To welcome new families to the classroom
- Events: help organize, decorate and clean up school events such as Quran Competitions, the annual Hajj simulation, and many more!
- Beautification: improve and maintain the grounds around the school building by helping with weeding, pruning, raking, and spreading fertilizer and mulch.
- Hospitality: provide refreshments for school events or help clean up afterwards.
- IPTA Meetings: All parents are invited to attend monthly meetings and to learn about and work on school initiatives.
- Library: assist the librarian by shelving, repairing, and cataloguing books. Volunteers also assist during the Book Fair.
- Family Fun Day: help coordinate and publicize the Family Fun Day, or volunteer on the day of the Fair. Fun booths offer a range of activities.
- School Pictures: Volunteers assist during Picture Day.