The extended essay (EE) is an independent and self-directed research project culminating in a 4,000-word paper. Throughout the process, students receive guidance and support from a supervisor, usually a teacher at the school. Following the completion of the written essay, students participate in a concluding interview known as Viva Voce.
This extended essay and interview hold great value, especially in countries where interviews are required for employment or university acceptance.
Through the research process, students develop essential skills in:
- Practical preparation for undergraduate research.
- An opportunity for students to explore topics of personal interest.
- Formulating appropriate research questions.
- Engaging in a personal exploration of the topic.
- Communicating ideas effectively.
- Developing persuasive argument.
Participation in this process enhances students' capacity to analyze, synthesize, and evaluate knowledge.